supporting high road west businesses
We are committed to supporting businesses located within or nearby the High Road West area. In December 2014, we created a High Road West Business Charter that outlined four commitments to businesses affected by the scheme:
- Ensure you are able to participate in the regeneration of the area and fully support you throughout the process
- Make sure your business is successful during the planning period and the subsequent regeneration and enable individual traders to exercise real choice regarding their current and future options
- A fair valuation and compensation process (for those businesses that are required to relocate)
- Aim to keep the businesses and jobs within the area, or within the borough
Lendlease, the Council’s development partner for the High Road West scheme, are also committed to fulfilling the High Road West Business Charter.
High Road West will deliver around 200,000 sqft of commercial, retail and leisure space in an enhanced town centre in north Tottenham, supporting the growth of the local economy and increasing employment opportunities in the area.
Some businesses will need to be relocated to bring forward these benefits as well as new homes and public space. Many businesses will be able to relocate into new commercial space in High Road West, and where this is not possible or is not the preference of the business, we will work with you to help you stay in the area or borough.
- High Road West Regeneration Proposals - Business Charter (PDF 213KB)
- Turkish version - High Road West Regeneration Proposals - Business Charter (PDF 175KB)
The council and Lendlease will help support local businesses and deliver on the commitments laid out in the High Road West Business Charter.
The design of the new commercial space as well as the phasing of demolition aims to cause the least disruption to existing businesses.
The council and Lendlease are engaging affected businesses to understand their individual requirements and offer one to one meetings with each business. Following previous rounds of consultation and engagement, we will again be seeking the views of business owners on the updated masterplan.
Lendlease have also started their High Road Revitalisation Programme, which will ensure businesses on the High Road benefit from specialist advice to improve their operations.
- Help with business support and grants to improve shop fronts, layouts and merchandising
- A high street design guide to set out the principles of retail regeneration
- Help to improve the online presence of businesses so they appeal to a wider market visibility, a less local source of sales, and draw in visitors from outside the area
- Help businesses to understand essential marketing tools
- Help setting up a business plan