TOTTENHAM GREEN - PHASE TWO
Tottenham Green and Town Hall Approach Road underwent significant improvements to its open spaces in 2014 leading to a revitalised Tottenham Green, and is now home to the Tottenham Green Market, as well as other events held regularly on the Green.
The scope of the improvements undertaken did not extend to those public spaces behind the civic buildings overlooking Tottenham Green on Town Hall Approach Road.
Those civic buildings include the Bernie Grant Art Centre, College of North East London, Ambitious College, Tottenham Green leisure Centre and Marcus Garvey Library.
The spaces and routes linking between these civic buildings is unwelcoming and require improvements to raise the quality of the public spaces to match those on Tottenham Green.
The council has been working with local stakeholders on proposals that aim to:
- Provide a safe, more attractive and greener environment for people to enjoy and use
- Raise the profile and visibility of the services on offer at Tottenham Green through integrated paths, better signage and high quality surface materials
- To provide a direct means of fire escape from the Marcus Garvey Library and Tottenham Green Leisure Centre
- To improve the visibility and setting of the Bernie Grant Arts Centre and library through improved lighting, signage, sightlines and pathways
- To create a stronger visual link to Tottenham Green from the surrounding buildings
- To create an attractive environment that encourages visitors to stay longer and visit more frequently
- To work in partnership with the Bernie Grant Art Centre, Fusion Lifestyle and Marcus Garvey Library to increase support for the area and enable a greater variety of activities to emerge within the public space showcasing each organisations offer
- Improve the Marcus Garvey Library garden
- Detailed design approval – autumn 2019
- Tender period - winter 2019
- Appointment of contractor to undertake works early spring
- Works start onsite - late spring 2020
- Works completed - autumn 2020
Find out more
There will be an exhibition of the plans at Marcus Garvey Library until the end of July and two drop-in sessions will take place at the library on:
- Monday 22 July 2019, 4 - 7pm
- Saturday 27 July 2019, 12 - 3pm
The exhibition boards can also be downloaded below:
- Tottenham Green phase two - exhibition board one (PDF, 676KB)
- Tottenham Green phase two - exhibition board two (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Tottenham Green phase two - exhibition board three (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Tottenham Green phase two - exhibition board four (PDF, 747KB)
If you have any comments please email us at email@example.com
We are keen to establish a working group of interested volunteers to become Friends of the Marcus Garvey Library garden.
Following completion of the proposed enhancement works onsite, the volunteers can expect to play an active role in maintaining the upkeep of the Library garden so that the local community can continue to enjoy and make use of the improved library garden.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to register your interest.