Every council in England is required to have a dedicated plan that sets the rules for how the area should develop over time. This is called a Local Plan.
The Local Plan is made up of a series of planning documents that together form an overall set of rules. The council’s Planning Committee must normally take these rules into account when making planning decisions on things like new homes, shops and other facilities, so it’s important they are right and meet the ambitions of local people.
The Local Plan sets out how the council will deliver:
- A better choice of high quality design
- Affordable housing
- Better community facilities
- More schools and training opportunities
- Improved public transport
- More attractive and safe streets and parks